Use the following links to download ArcGIS software and licenses. This software and licenses are only available to students and employees of UMass Amherst, to only be used education and public research purposes. If you need ArcGIS for commercial activities, including research for paying clients, you have to purchase a commercial license direct from ESRI.
If you don't see something you need please contact email@example.com and we'll figure out how to get it for you.
Unfortunately ArcGIS only runs on Windows. However, there are alternative GIS apps, in addition to workarounds to get ArcGIS to run in a virtual environment on Mac and Linux: Click here for more info.
Please note: ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap) licenses expire June 30, 2024. After that, U-Mass will no longer have access to ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap). Switch to ArcPro ASAP.
If you use ArcGIS Pro, you need not ever worry about your license expiring. We have you covered.
If downloading ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap), we also recommend downloading and installing the Data Interoperability and Background Geoprocessing extensions.
- ArcGIS Desktop installation instructions
- ArcGIS Pro Installation and Login instructions - having trouble logging into ArcGIS Pro? Click here!
- How to access ESRI eTraining Resources / Create an ArcGIS Online Account - having trouble logging into ArcGIS Online? Click here!
- UMass Amherst GIS Hub (GIS Resources, Courses, etc...)
- UMass Amherst GIS Community of Practice Google Group
- U-Mass Amherst ArcGIS Online + eTraining + StoryMaps, etc...
- Getting Started with ArcGIS Pro - This is a great course if you need to migrate from ArcMap / Arc Desktop to using ArcGIS Pro.