Please follow these instructions to install your ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap) license provisioning file and complete your software authorization:
- Visit the ArcGIS downloads page, navigating to the ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap) folder, and download, the license provisioning file with the *.pvrc extension to your machine.
- Click on the *.exe files to install ArcGIS Desktop / ArcMap to you computer. It's also a good idea to install the Data Interoperability and Background Geoprocessing extension. Unless you know you specifically need Workflow Manager, Full Motion Video, or Desktop Server for a particular project, you'll be fine ignoring those files.
- From the Windows Start Menu, launch ArcGIS Administrator.
- If ArcGIS Administrator does not appear in the start menu, do not worry (this is a random and common occurrence)! You can find it by searching for ArcGIS Administrator using Search / Cortana to the right of the start menu icon. (Ignore License Administrator: it's for something different entirely).
- On the left side of the ArcGIS Administrator window, navigate to the "Desktop" folder and in the right-hand pane, make sure Advanced (ArcInfo) is selected.
- Click the Authorize Now button at the bottom of the right-hand pane.
- In the next window, select the option "I have received an authorization file from Esri and am now ready to finish the authorization process." and browse to the provisioning file you saved.
- In th next window, select "Authorize with Esri now over the Internet." If your machine does not have an Internet connection, select the "Authorize at Esri’s website or by email to receive your authorization file".
- Click Next.
- Review the pre-populated personal information and enter any additional required information. On the next panels, you will see the authorization numbers entered for the core product and any extensions, if applicable. Ignore adding Full Motion Video unless it's something you know you specifically need. If that's the case, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a license.
- Click Next through the next few screens, filling in information as necessary.
- Click Finish to complete the authorization process. The window should show your licenses and their expiration dates (see image below). If you are renewing your licenses, you may still see licenses that expire in the current year you are in. Check to see if additional licenses are installed that expire on March 1st of the following year. If that's the case, you're good to go. You may still receive warnings that your license will be expiring, but they will disappear on March 1st. If, for some reason, you find that you can't use ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap) on March first, please contact email@example.com immediately.
If you have any questions or run into any obstacles installing the software or license, please don't hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org. If you can, please include a screenshot of any error ArcGIS or your computer is giving you: it helps a bunch! ArcGIS regularly frustrates even the most experienced users, so if it isn't working for you, reach out and know you are not alone.