Publications and Presentations
All papers and documents are viewable using Adobe Acrobat Reader (PDF)
* indicates student authors
Peer Reviewed Manuscripts (H-index=4; Based on articles 7-15):
- Doan, M.L., Conin, M., Henry, P., Wiersberg, T., Boutt, D.F., Buchs, D., Saffer, D., McNeill, L., and D. Cukur., Quantification of Free Gas in the Kumano Forearc Basin detected from Borehole Physical Properties: IODP NanTroSEIZE drilling Site C0009, Geochem. Geophys. Geosyt., 12, Q0AD06, doi:10.1029/2010GC003284.
- *Weider, K. and D.F. Boutt, Heterogeneous water table response to climate revealed by 60 years of ground water data, Geophys. Res. Lett., VOL. 37, L24405, doi:10.1029/2010GL045561, 2010.
- *Cook, J.B., Goodwin, L.B., and D.F. Boutt, Systematic diagenetic changes in the grain-scale morphology and permeability of a quartz-cemented quartz arenite, AAPG Bulletin, BLTN10-009, In Press, 2010.
- McNeil, L, Saffer, D.M., Byrne, T., Araki, E., and IODP Expedition 319 Scientists (D.F. Boutt), IODP Expedition 319, NanTroSEIZE Stage 2: First IODP Riser Drilling Operations and Observatory Installation Towards Understanding Subduction Zone Seismogenesis, Scientific Drilling, 10, p 4-13.
- Lin, W., et al. (2010), Present-day principal horizontal stress orientationsin the Kumano forearc basin of the southwest Japan subduction zone determined from IODP NanTroSEIZE drilling Site C0009, Geophys. Res. Lett., 37, L13303, doi:10.1029/2010GL043158.
- Boutt, D.F., Mabee, S.B., and *J.P. Diggins, A field study of the factors controlling the depth of ground water flow systems in crystalline fractured rock terrain, Hydrogeology Journal, 2010, Published Online September 7th, DOI: 10.1007/s10040-010-0640-y.
- Boutt, D.F., Cook, B.K., and J.R. Williams, A coupled fluid-solid model for problems in geomechanics: application to sand production, International Journal of Analytical and Numerical Methods in Geomechanics. published online: 2 AUG 2010 | DOI: 10.1002/nag.938,
- Boutt, D.F., Poroelastic response of an unconsolidated aquifer to daily releases of water from an upstream dam, Ground Water, doi:10.1111/j.1745-6584.2009.00,663.x, 2010.
- Boutt, D.F., Goodwin, L.B, and McPherson, B.J.O.L., The Role of Permeability and Storage in the Initiation and Propagation of Natural Hydraulic Fractures, Water Resources Research, 45 (W00C13), doi:10.1029/2007WR006557, 2009.
- Boutt, D.F and *B.J. Fleming, Implications of anthropogenically driven river stage fluctuations on mass transport in a valley fill aquifer, Water Resources Research, doi:10.1029/2007WR006526, 2009.
- Boutt D.F., Cook, B.K, McPherson, B.J.O.L., and J.R. Williams, 2007, Direct simulation of fluid-solid mechanics in porous media using the discrete element and lattice-Boltzmann methods, Journal of Geophysical Research – Solid Earth, 112, B10209, doi:10.1029/2004JB003213.
- McPherson, B.J.O.L., and D.F. Boutt, 2007, Evaluation of Forces Responsible for Fracturing in the Spraberry Trend, Midland Basin, Geofluids, 7(4), p 415-426.
- Boutt D.F., Grasselli G., Fredrich J.T., Cook B.K., Williams J.R., 2006, Trapping zones: The effect of fracture roughness on the directional anisotropy of fluid flow and colloid transport in a single fracture, Geophysical Research Letters, V. 33, L21402,10.1029/2006GL027275.
- Wayland, K.G, D.W. Hyndman, D.F. Boutt, B.C. Pijanowski, D.T. Long, Modeling The Impact Of Historical Land Uses On Surface Water Quality Using Ground Water Flow And Solute Transport Models, Lakes and Reservoirs, 7(3), p 189-199, 2002. Times Cited: 2
- Boutt, D.F., and McPherson, B.J.O.L, Simulation of sedimentary rock deformation: Lab-scale model calibration and parameterization, Geophysical Research Letters 29(4), 10.1029/2001GL013706, 2002.
- Boutt, D.F., Hyndman, D.W., Pijanowski, B.C., and David T. Long, Identifying potential land use-derived solute sources to stream baseflow using ground water models and GIS, Ground Water 39(1), 24-34, 2001.
Submitted manuscripts under review:
- *Plourde, K.P., Boutt, D.F., Goodwin, L.B, and J. Cook. The influence of cementation on the poroelastic behavior of aquifers and reservoirs, Journal of Geophysical Research – Solid Earth
- Murdoch, L., Germanovich, L, Wang, H., Onstott, T., Elsworth, D., Stetler, L., and D.F. Boutt, Hydrogeology of the vicinity of DUSEL Homestake, Submitted to Hydrogeology Journal in November 2010.
Manuscripts in Preparation for Submission in the next 6 months:
- French, W., Boutt, D.F., and Goodwin, L.B., Sample dilation and fracture formation in quartz-rich sandstones and siltstones under undrained experimental conditions, Intended to Journal of Geophysical Research-Solid Earth
- Weider, K., and D.F. Boutt, Ground water table response to long-term climate: The role of subsurface stratigraphy, Intended to Water Resources Research.
- Cook, J.E., Goodwin, L.B., Boutt, D.F., and H. Tobin, Mechanical and hydrologic evolution of a sandstone with progressive diagenesis: How compaction and cementation influence elastic and inelastic behavior, Intended to Journal of Geophysical Research-Solid Earth.
Peer-reviewed articles and reports:
- Mabee, S.B. Boutt, D.F., Diggins, J.P, Sorenson, J.R. and R.A. Mondazzi, Borehole Geophysical and Hydraulic Investigation of the Fractured-Rock Aquifer in Eastern Massachusetts, USGS Open File Report, In Review.
- Saffer, D., McNeill, L., Byrne, T., Araki, E., Toczko, S., Eguchi, N., Takahashi, K., and the Expedition 319 Scientists, NanTroSEIZE Stage 2: NanTroSEIZE riser/riserless observatory Expedition 319 of the riser drilling platform Shingu, Japan, to Yokkaichi, JapanSites C0009 & C0011 5 May -31 August 2009 Integrated Ocean Drilling Program, Japanese Implementing Organization, Center for Deep Earth Exploration (CDEX) at the Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC), and U.S. Implementing Organization Science Services, Texas A&M University, 2010.
Non peer-reviewed articles and reports:
- Mabee, S.B., *B.J. Fleming, and D.F. Boutt, Hydrogeologic assessment of the West Charlemont aquifer, Charlemont, Massachusetts, project completion report, 2007.
- Grasselli G., Boutt D.F., Fredrich J.T., Cook B.K., Williams J.R., 2005, Experimental and numerical study of colloid transport in a single fracture, in Proc. IACMAG 2005 Conference, Turin, Italy, pp 277-284
- Cook BK, Boutt DF. and Strack O.E. DEM-fluid model development for near wellbore mechanics. Numerical modeling in Micromechanics via Particle Methods, 2004, Shimizu, Hart & Cundall (eds). Taylor & Francis Group, London, ISBN 90 5809 679 3.
- Boutt, D.F., Discrete Analysis of the Role of Pore Fluids in the Genesis of Opening Mode Fractures in the Shallow Crust, Ph.D. Thesis, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology, Socorro, NM, 2004, 239 pp.
- Boutt D.F., McPherson, B.J.O.L., Cook, B.K, and J.R. Williams, Application of a directly coupled numerical model of fluid-solid mechanics, in Soil and Rock America 2003 Proceedings, edited by P.J. Culligan, H.H Einstein, and A.J. Whittle, Volume 1, p 977-983
- Boutt, D.F., and B.J.O.L. McPherson, The role of particle packing in modeling rock mechanical behavior using discrete elements, in Discrete Element Methods: Numerical Modeling of Discontinua, edited by B.K. Cook, and R.P. Jensen, pp. 86-92, ASCE, Santa Fe, NM, 2002.
- Villeneuve, P.J. and D.F. Boutt, Hydrogeologic Investigation of Leverett, Massachusetts, May 2008, UMass Hydrogeology Group.
- 2009 Integrated Ocean Drilling Program Expedition 319 Preliminary Report NanTroSEIZE Stage 2: NanTroSEIZE riser/riserless observatory, Demian Saffer, Lisa McNeill, Eiichiro Araki, Tim Byrne, Nobuhisa Eguchi, Sean Toczko, Kyoma Takahashi, and the Expedition 319 Scientists, doi:10.2204/iodp.pr.319.